Since being introduced to that word in your freshman A&P class, you’ve probably heard it repeated now and again on TV commercials for diet plans, here on this blog, and maybe by your family doctor during checkups.
But what exactly is it and how does it relate to weight loss.
Simply put, your metabolism is the rate at which your body transforms food into fuel, waste and fat – and the efficiency with which it performs that process.
How does it relate to weight loss?
A healthy, efficient metabolism helps you to more effectively burn calories, feel great and lose weight.
So, what can we do to help ensure our metabolism is working as efficiently as it can and helping us lose weight as quickly and effectively as possible?
Well, I happen to have a handy list of five things you can do every morning to kick start your metabolism.
- Replace your first cup of coffee with lemon water. In studies, a glass of cool water has been shown to raise your resting metabolic rate. Hint: add a little honey to cut the lemon flavor if you like.
- Get active! Lifting small weights first thing in the morning puts your body in a fat-burning mode – and building muscle is a sure-fire way to increase your metabolism.
- Have two eggs. Cook them how you like – style doesn’t matter (although I’d recommend against frying them in oil). The protein in a morning meal of two eggs is the perfect recipe for kick starting your metabolic rate.
- Rise and shine. Set your alarm for 30 minutes earlier than you need to wake up. I know, right! But try it for a few days and see if you begin to get in tune with your body’s natural circadian rhythms.
- Prepare for the day ahead. Fill a water bottle and pack a low-cal snack for work. Staying hydrated and treating yourself to a light snack mid-morning keeps your engine running throughout the day.
Want more tips on maximizing your metabolism and losing weight effectively?
Call us here at Mediplan Diet Services or click the schedule an appointment button above.