Don’t be afraid to fire up the grill for a family meal or a summer get-together. Grilling is excellent if you want to add lots of flavor, but not fat and calories. Here are 10 healthy grilled foods that are perfect for any barbeque or cookout.
1. Shrimp Skewers – Making shrimp skewers on the grill is fast and easy. They only take about 5 minutes to cook and are a great appetizer. Toss them in olive oil and rosemary before grilling to add extra flavor.
2. Leg of Lamb – Lamb can be an intimidating meat, but it’s surprisingly easy to grill. A butterflied, boneless leg of lamb will serve up to 16 people. Create a rub with mint and garlic for a delicious and impressive entree.
3. Grilled Salmon – An excellent way to grill this healthy fish is cooking it over a bed of lemon slices in an aluminum foil packet. You may also want to grill it on a plank.
4. Grilled Vegetables – Corn, onions, bell peppers, eggplant, zucchini and endive are just a few vegetables that are excellent on the grill. Grilled vegetables make fantastic sides for any grilled dish.
5. Grilled Bread Salad – If you want to grill something a bit different then try a grilled bread salad. A thinly sliced loaf of ciabatta lightly coated in olive oil and grilled for 2-3 minutes can be easily tossed with fresh tomatoes, onions and fennel to create a light, colorful dish.
6. Pork Tenderloin – Grilling a lean, marinated pork tenderloin is always a hit. If you’re looking for a flavorful and healthy sauce then you can make a quick maple-chipotle glaze to both marinate and then drizzle over the cooked tenderloin.
7. Turkey Burgers – Turkey burgers are a much more healthy alternative to hamburgers. For California style turkey burgers cook the patties for about 5 minutes then top them with blue cheese then cook them until the cheese begins to melt. Serve the burgers with avocado and scallions.
8. Chicken Sausage – If you’re a sausage lover, particularly a lover of grilled sausage you may want to give chicken sausage a try. Like turkey burgers, chicken sausage is much more lean and healthy alternative to traditional sausage.
9. Grilled Fruits – Peaches, pineapple, mango, pears and apples that have been grilled make for tasty dessert options. A balsamic vinegar reduction can be used to coat the fruit then serve it with frozen yogurt for a summer treat.
10. Grilled Banana S’mores – Try replacing the marshmallows of your s’mores with grilled banana slices for a dessert or snack that will definitely hit the spot. These are a perfect addition to a camping trip or a backyard barbecue.
If you like these recipes and want more healthy recipe ideas then MediPlan can help. We create personalized diet and fitness plans that cater to every individual, so give us a call today!