If you are unsure where to start in your weight loss journey, the easiest place is often to just take a walk! Walking is literally the first step to achieving a healthier you. There are many benefits to walking, but we are going to explore just a few here.
1. Walking Will Help You Lose Weight – Any physical activity will increase your metabolism. This bump in metabolism burns calories and fat. Walking is the simplest and easiest way to speed up your weight loss and start shedding pounds. A nice, evening walk is a great way to end a day of eating right.
2. Walking Is Good For Your Heart – Walking is an excellent way to improve your cardiovascular health. Even a short walk will help with high blood pressure, strengthen your heart and get your blood pumping.
3. Walking Is Good For Breathing – Along with being great for your heart, walking is great for your lungs as well. It helps you make better use of the oxygen you breathe in and your heart pumps it to the rest of your body.
4. Walking Improves Your Mood – Light physical exertion will make your brain release serotonin and dopamine. These chemicals make you feel happy and reduce stress. These good feelings improve your mood and your self-esteem.
5. Waking Increases Your Energy – It may seem counter-intuitive but physical activity actually increases your energy. If you feel sluggish throughout the day then go for a quick morning walk. It will wake you up, get your blood flowing and you will feel more alert.
6. Walking Will Increase Your Endurance – The more you walk, the better your endurance will be. This means you will be able to walk farther and faster. It is a great form of conditioning.
7. Walking Is Low impact – Walking is low impact and this means there is less chance of injury. It makes it ideal if you are out of shape or not quite ready for a more intense workout routine.
8. Walking Will Help With Toning – Along with losing weight, walking is a good way to develop lean muscle. After you have lost weight this helps to tone your muscles.
9. Walking Will Help You Sleep Better – Going for a walk will help you fall asleep more quickly at night and then sleep more restfully.
10. Walking Will Help Boost Vitamin D – Walking during the day will increase the levels of vitamin D in your body. Vitamin D can be hard to get from food, but it is easy to get from natural sunlight. This vitamin plays a role in both your immune system and your bone health, which makes it particularly important for women. Observe sun safety tips and consider a brisk early morning or evening walk to avoid burning and sun-related risks while getting your vitamin D.
So, what are you waiting for? Get out there and take a walk!